The Energy Institute (EI) is the professional body for the energy industry, developing and sharing knowledge, skills and good practice towards a safe, secure and sustainable energy system.
The EI supports over 23,000 individuals working in or studying energy and 250 companies worldwide, providing learning and networking opportunities to support professional development, as well as professional recognition and technical and scientific knowledge resources on energy in all its forms and applications.
A registered charity, incorporated by Royal Charter in 2003, the EI serves society with independence, professionalism and a wealth of expertise in energy matters. The EI is licensed by the Engineering Council (UK) to offer Chartered, Incorporated and Engineering Technician status to engineers, the Science Council to award Chartered Scientist status, and also licensed by the Society for the Environment to award Chartered Environmentalist status.
The EI was set up in 2003 as a result of a merger between the Institute of Petroleum (IP) and the Institute of Energy (InstE). Both Institutes had a proud and distinguished heritage developed over many years supporting their particular energy sectors. Increasingly these sectors have converged, creating an integrated global energy market which has been mirrored by the development of the Energy Institute - established to address both the depth and breadth of the subject.
As a member of the Professional Associations Research Network, the EI is:
• keeping up-to-date with the latest sector research and best practice guidance
• equipped through training and events to deal with the challenges professional bodies face
• part of an active network of professional bodies that learn from each other
- Royal Charter, Bye laws and Code of Governance (PDF 198 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- Energy Institute Code of Governance - Royal Charter, Bye laws and Code of Governance
- Guidelines on Compliance with Competition Law (PDF 37 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- Guidelines to ensure compliance with competition law, by EI Officers, working with the relevant Committees and Committee Chairman
- Energy Institute corporate brochure 2015 (PDF 1352 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- Energy Institute - the place to be for energy professionals - corporate brochure 2015.