Welcome to EI Malaysia
Energy is a large part of the Malaysian economy with most forms either being produced or used in the country. The country also enjoys strong cultural and educational links with the UK with more than 20,000 Malaysian students studying at UK universities, a considerable number in an energy related field. Many of Malaysia’s future energy leaders will be among their number.
The country was therefore a natural location for an EI branch and one was duly set up and registered with the Malaysian Registrar of Societies mid-2012.
Our aim is to make our contribution to Malaysia (and over time to other countries in the region) by:
- providing opportunities for energy professionals to further their professional development, keep up to date with energy developments and expand their network of contacts
- developing a nationwide network of EI student groups in EI Learning Affiliates (local universities and other educational bodies). This will facilitate networking opportunities and support the development of learning opportunities and activities for the next generation of Malaysia’s energy professionals
- enabling returning Malaysian students from the UK to join a local professional group to support their career development
- A regular programme of speaker meetings and site visits - we have an Eminent Speaker Programme as well as talks by members on many topics of general interest as well as talks of a more technical nature. The branch will also participates in the organisation of a limited number of conferences and seminars.
- Local chartership and professional membership interviews - to support members who wish to apply for professional membership or chartered status we have a team of local advisors and interviewers. A number of members have already benefitted from the team’s advice and assistance.
- Social networks - there is also an EI Malaysia LinkedIn group (non-members welcome) which is an excellent way to make contact with other energy professionals in Malaysia and contribute your ideas to the branch. To join, find the EI Malaysia group and request to join.
Special local rate for new members
Those interested in joining EI Malaysia can join as an Associate, Affiliate or Student member and receive all of the benefits of membership at a 50% discount off the standard rate for each of these grades.
If you would like to get involved with the branch please contact:
Dr Wan Asma Ibrahim, Chair, EI Malaysia or
Peter Godfrey, Managing Director - EI Asia Pacific