Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can't find the anwer to your question?  Contact us to submit a new one.


Professional membership

How do I apply for professional membership?

The only way to apply is by making a written application. We offer a wide range of professional, and chartered professional options. If you click on a particular option on our professional page, you can download all the information you need to make an application.

Can I apply online?

No - you cannot apply online for any professional grade or chartered status

What qualifications are required?

These vary between options and the guidance notes for each will give you full details. For engineers, we offer two routes to registration – Standard and non-standard (Individual) - depending on whether or not your qualifications have been accredited by the Engineering Council.  You can check those on the Engineering Council website. Please note however that having academic qualifications is only part of the story. Achieving professional membership is all about proving competence and whether you are successful or not will depend on how well you are able to demonstrate evidence of the relevant competences to our assessors in your application

What paperwork do I have to submit?

Whichever professional or chartered professional, option you take, you will have to submit a standard set of essential documentation. This is specific to each type of application and a full checklist is given in the guidance notes. Please read the notes carefully and ensure you provide everything that is required. Unless this is all completed properly, we cannot have your application assessed. Help us to help you by submitting everything we ask for.

Is there a qualifying period for professional membership/chartered status?

We recommend a minimum period of at least four years energy-related professional experience before you apply for professional/chartered membership

How do I apply for Chartered Engineer?

Chartered Engineer is one of several chartered professional options. Click on the option on the professional membership page and read the guidance notes carefully

What is Chartered Energy Engineer/Chartered Petroleum Engineer and how do I apply?

The EI has two specialist Chartered engineering titles by virtue of the fact that we are the specialist Chartered body for energy – Chartered Petroleum Engineer for those working in that particular specialism and Chartered Energy Engineer for anyone else who is an engineer in any other part of the energy sector. These titles are unique to us and not available from anyone else. To be considered for one of these titles, you tick the box on the professional application form. You will be assessed for the Engineering Council’s CEng registration and must satisfy those requirements to gain the additional title. There is no additional or separate assessment for these titles. You cannot be registered as a Chartered Energy Engineer / Chartered Petroleum Engineer without being a registered CEng with the Engineering Council.  They are always written in full and not shortened like postnominal letters. If successful in your CEng application, you would be able to write MEI CEng Chartered Energy Engineer on your business card

Do I need my qualifications to be accredited? Will I have to do the Individual Route?

This only applies to those applying for engineering registration as CEng or IEng with the Engineering Council. In UK-SPEC, the Engineering Council specifies the qualifications required for registration as a Chartered Engineer and an Incorporated Engineer and in education terms, the standard qualifications are:
Chartered Engineer – an accredited Bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus either an appropriate Masters degree accredited by a professional engineering institution, or appropriate further learning to Masters level Or an accredited integrated MEng degree;
Incorporated Engineer – an accredited Bachelors degree in engineering or technology or Higher National Diploma or Foundation Degree in engineering or technology, plus appropriate further learning to degree level or an NVQ4 or SVQ4 which has been approved for the purpose by a licensed engineering institution
If you have not followed one of the above exemplifying academic pathways, you will be required to clearly demonstrate that you have reached the same level of knowledge and understanding of engineering principles, which underpin the other professional competences, as a candidate who has. This is our individual route to registration. You can find out whether your qualifications are accredited via the Accredited course search on the Engineering Council website.

Do I have to be a professional member eg MEI to become chartered?

If you are not yet a professional member and you want to be, for example CEng, you tick the MEI and CEng boxes on the professional membership application form. You will be assessed for CEng and if successful, be awarded MEI at the same time. You cannot be a registered Chartered professional without being a professional member. If you are already MEI / FEI you can make a separate application subsequently for chartered status.

I work as a Manager in the energy sector. Can I apply for Chartered Energy Manager?

The Chartered Energy Manager qualification is the third unique qualification from the EI. It is very specifically for those who have responsibility for measuring energy consumption and efficiency in buildings. It is not a general title for managers who work in energy roles. The Chartered Energy Manager guidance notes describe the full range of competences which need to be satisfied. If you want to be an ESOS Lead Assessor, you can become one through the Chartered Energy Manager route but note that you will still have to satisfy all the necessary competences.

What is the assessment process and how long does it take?

Each professional application is considered on its own merits by our Membership Panel of trained volunteers. We use “peer review” which means your application will be assessed, and decisions made on it, by other professional members with your specialism. You can expect the process to take a minimum of three months from when you submit it to us

I'm currently a Associate Member / Affiliate member. Can I apply to upgrade? What is the process?

If you have upwards of four years’ energy-related professional experience, we would certainly encourage you to apply. The process – as for everyone – is to submit the prescribed written documentation.

I'm currently a chartered member of another institute but I like the sound of the EI. What do you advise?

If you want to apply for professional membership, you will still have to make a written submission. You can only have one chartered registration (CEng, CSci, CEnv) which you can leave with that institute or transfer to us when you are elected as a professional member. If you wish to apply for one of our unique titles you will need to go through the full assessment process. If you don’t want professional membership with us, then join online as an Affiliate member

I'm currently a Member MEI. How do I upgrade to Fellow FEI?

There is a shortened application process and a separate form, but you still have to demonstrate competences relating to your seniority and high levels of responsibility via your Professional Development Review

Do I have to be an Associate Member or Affiliate member to apply for professional membership?

Yes – you will need to be an existing member to apply for professional membership.If are intending to apply for professional membership we recommend you join as an Associate Member (AMEI)first

Will there be an interview?

If you are applying for CEng / IEng or CEnv registration then yes – this is a mandatory requirement. In other cases this will be at the discretion of the Membership Panel – but in all probability, yes. It will be held locally to you – or in some cases eg overseas by skype/webex. There is no presentation to make or exam to sit. The interview comes at the end of the process and is conducted by our members as part of peer review – so they have to be arranged to fit in with the schedules of the interviewers. Please bear that in mind if you find your interview is taking time to arrange.

I realise I need sponsors but am having trouble finding them. Can you provide anyone?

You need two sponsors and they should be professionals who operate at least at the level for which you are applying. Ideally they should be members of professional bodies ie professional Members or Fellows of a UK or international professional body but they do not have to be EI members. One of them should be your immediate line manager or director. We believe that in most cases applicants applying for professional membership should have no difficulty in finding suitable sponsors but we are unable to allocate a sponsor to you. If you are applying for Chartered Engineer, one of your sponsors will need to CEng (but not necessarily chartered through the EI).

Do my sponsors need to complete a specific form?

Yes, your sponsors must complete a sponsor reference form, which can be found in the application pack online. It is imperative that they sign the form, add detailed supporting comments and tick the relevant boxes in the Standards for Membership section.

Who should sign my certificates and ID?

These must be signed by someone, other than you, who has seen the originals and can vouch they are true and accurate copies. Ideally this will be done by one of your sponsors.

How do I prepare a PDR?

Everyone has to submit a Professional Development Review (PDR). Essentially it is a personal statement of how you meet the competences described in the guidance notes for each professional option. It should be about 4,000 words long, be written in the first person, in chronological or reverse chronological order and reference the competences in brackets. Above all, it should not merely list the jobs you have had and what you did, but what you achieved, the value you added, the savings you made, what you learned. If your PDR does not do this, we will not be able to send it for assessment. We offer a separate guidance document on writing a PDR, which will be found in the online information pack for each option

Do you offer exemplar PDRs?

Everyone has to submit a Professional Development Review (PDR). No two are ever the same which is why we do not offer exemplars. The PDR is your personal statement of your professionalism and is very much an individual document. Moreover it is a very good way of demonstrating your communication skills.

How do I submit my professional application?

Electronically to

What is the fee and how do I pay it?

Existing members (Associate Members, Affiliates and Members applying for chartered status) pay a one-off transfer fee of £75 and non-members a one-off application fee of £138 for Member or £166 for Fellow. No other fees are payable until you are elected as a professional. Thereafter there will be an annual EI professional membership fee plus a registration fee eg CEng if applicable. You can pay the application fee by cheque made payable to the Energy Institute or by phoning us on +44(0)20 7467 7100 to pay with a credit or debit card.