- The UK Government has promised to support the safe deployment of shale gas as part of the UK's energy policy, but fracking applications have been rejected by local councils. There has been vigorous debate about the potential benefits and risks of developing shale gas in the UK. To help inform the ongoing discussion, the Energy Institute (EI) has published 'A guide to shale gas', which addresses the technological, environmental and legal aspects of exploiting this energy source, produced independently and based on sound science.
- Many businesses are hiring consultants to help them get to grips with the UK's Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) and to make sure that they will comply with the regulations.
- Speaking this week as the 2015 recipient of the Energy Institute (EI)'s prestigious Cadman Award, Malcolm Brinded CBE FREng FEI, Chairman, Shell Foundation, has called for increased focus on breakthrough technology and business innovations that respond to the challenges of international development, climate change and urbanisation - while meeting the world's growing demand for energy.
- The first Energy Barometer report, published by the Energy Institute (EI), was launched in London today - Tuesday, 23 June. It is the result of an initiative to survey energy professionals on an annual basis to identify priorities and trends, and monitor progress over time.
- As an EI Member you now have access, via the eLibrary section of this website, to Science in Parliament (SIP), May/June 2015 edition - The Journal of the Parliamentary and Scientific Committee. The Committee is an Associate Parliamentary Group of members of both Houses of Parliament and British members of the European Parliament, representatives of scientific and technical institutions, industrial organisations and universities
- With just over six months left until the Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) compliance deadline of 5 December, the Energy Institute (EI) has launched an ESOS toolkit and set up a free energy saving advice service.
- In this issue you will find an article by our President, Ian Marchant FEI, entitled 'Powering human progress - past, present and future' - see pg.14/15.
- In a unique collaboration with the Energy Institute (EI), The Crown Estate has brought together over 100 reports and publications, produced as part of its strategic offshore wind programme, and made them more widely available through the EI Knowledge Service.