The Committee continues to focus its efforts on the development of standard test methods to meet:
- The needs of the European and national fuel, lubricant and bitumen specifications
- Environment and safety requirements
- The application of new technology.
In addition it:
- Provides technical input for the development of European norms and international standards and actively supports collaborative work within CEN and ISO.
- Continues to work with other standards organisations and where appropriate produce joint technically equivalent standards.
- Organises forums for the exchange of technical ideas and the dissemination of information related to test methods and their use in specifications.
- Ensures that the knowledge and experience resident in the UK is represented at meetings dealing with the development of standard test methods and fuel quality monitoring protocols.
- Works wherever possible with other organisations, such as DIN of Germany, AFNOR of France, NEN of Holland and UNI of Italy to produce standards. In addition it has a fifty-year-old relationship with ASTM International with whom it publishes some 115 IP/ASTM joint standard test methods.
IP standards are called up by regulatory authorities, and in various MoD product quality control specifications and they are used as the basis for the development of International Standards and European Norms.
Search IP Test Methods equivalences on the EI's publishing website.
IP Standard Methods for analysis and testing of petroleum and related products, and British Standard 2000 Parts, 2013
A compilation of Standards based on both traditional and modern instrumentation techniques, published annually. The 2013 edition contains 315 full methods and 13 proposed methods. Changes for the 2013 edition include 10 new full methods (including 6 new European Standards and 1 International Standard). 5 test methods have significant changes, and many have minor changes.
Three volume set. Price includes a searchable CD ROM of full text, bitumens and artwork.
To purchase online please click here.
71st ed. 2013 ISBN 978-0-85293-645-0 £675.00
Individual copies of IP methods and BS Standards 2000 series (including bitumen test methods) can be purchased online at: www.energypublishing.org £30.00
BSI PTI/13 Petroleum Testing and Terminology Committee
This Committee is responsible for the UK’s input to the development of international standard test methods and European norms for petroleum and related products. The EI provides the secretariat for this Committee and it is fully integrated into the Test Methods Standardization Committee structure.
If you would like more information on the Energy Institute's Test Methods Standardization programme please contact Rattanjit Gill e: email@example.com
Click here for further information on relevant Technical Publications.
Code of practice for communicating changes to apparatus specified in IP test methods is available for free in PDF format from the EI's publishing website. To download this publication, please click here.
- Research Report: IP 523 / EN ISO 3679 (Flash Point - Rapid Equilibrium closed cup method) and ASTM 3828 Round Robin / Inter-laboratory Study (Jan - May 2010) (PDF 446 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- Research Report: IP 523 / EN ISO 3679 (Flash Point - Rapid Equilibrium closed cup method) and ASTM 3828 Round Robin / Inter-laboratory Study (Jan - May 2010)
- FA-FTIR IP 583_10 Research Study (PDF 728 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- IP 583/10 Round Robin Study Report - Determination of the fatty acid methyl esters content of aviation turbine fuel using flow analysis by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy - Rapid screening method
- Issue 2 distillate round robin draft research report - H2S Analyser 15/09/2011 (PDF 664 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- Draft - Marine distillate fuels research report - IP 570. Issue 2, Determination of hydrogen sulphide in fuel oils - Rapid liquid phase extraction method
- List of IP test methods (PDF 269 Kb) [ Show summary ]
- List of status for IP test methods