About this course
Project planning and performance monitoring play major roles in determining the success or otherwise of oil and gas projects and companies. Key project skills and techniques relevant to the oil and gas industry include: planning, risk assessment, estimating, modelling, organising and controlling resources and schedules, with a view to optimising performance and quality. In addition teamwork, problem solving, motivation, contracts, negotiations, risk management and handling data and documentation are essential requirements for successful projects and operations.
The skills taught are oil-and-gas-industry specific and can be widely applied across the upstream sectors of the industry. The course focuses on integrating knowledge of projects and the skills they require. The course involves presentations, case studies, video clips, exercises and discussions.
Who should attend?
This course is designed for a multi-disciplined audience from the project and operations sectors of the oil and gas industry, including both professional and support staff. The skills and industry insight provided are also of value to corporate staff involved in project management and planning.
Attendees would include:
• Project and operations team members and supervisors involved in planning, implementing, supervising and directing projects.
• Upstream professionals, such as: engineers, geoscientists and planners.
• Corporate and asset team members involved in oil and gas assets.
Topics covered include:
Day One – Project management in an oil and gas industry context
- Overview of project and operations management process and skills
- Project structures: activity stages and decision gates
- Planning: an essential requirement of projects and operations
- Offshore field development
- Videos: Deepwater drilling and offshore field development
- Exercise: estimating under conditions of uncertainty
- Cost estimating and approval / authorisation for expenditure
- Project management frameworks: PMBOK, PRINCE and Six Sigma
- Resource scheduling exercise: developing Gantt charts
- Key attributes of high-performing project managers
- FEED and EPC contracting in the oil and gas industry
- Video: gas liquefaction (LNG) plant construction project
- Quantifying risks and opportunities
- Exercise: evaluating extreme risks and contingencies
- Strategies to reduce risk and enhance opportunities
Day Two – Detailed planning, analysis and modelling
- Project networks and critical path analysis
- Exercise: precedence diagram construction and critical path determination
- Flawless startup concept
- Videos: gas processing plant case study
- Parallel engineering and problems that arise
- Probabilistic approach to project cost-time forecasting
- Chemical plant construction: alternating critical paths simulated
- Review of project planning, scheduling and risk-analysis software
- Cost-time control: milestone monitoring, earned value and achievement analysis
- Contracts and procurement: issues and risks
- Exercise: tendering, competitive bidding and bid evaluation
- Resource procurement and the supply chain
- Contracts that share risk: alliance, incentive and gain share contracts
Day Three – Performance and problem solving
- Project team organisation, teamwork and motivation
- Large-scale deepwater FPSO project developments and operations
- Leadership, direction and management skills
- Data management, relational databases and documentation
- Project and operations risk registers and risk assessment methodology
- Exercise: Ongoing operating performance monitoring and targets for a producing field
- Delegating and assigning responsibilities effectively
- Quality, health, safety, security and environmental systems
- Managing pipeline and other transportation assets
- Key performance indicators for measuring operating performance
- Problem solving versus decision-making
- Structured and systematic approaches to problem solving
- Innovation and creativity: Confronting a crisis and contingency planning
- Securing project closure and learning from the outcomes
- Delivering project and operational objectives