If you are a member of the EI, your personal data may be lawfully processed by the EI on the basis of contract, as set out in the Terms and Conditions.
The personal data you supply in respect of your application for membership or registration or membership of the Register of Professional Energy Consultants (RPEC), and any updates you subsequently provide, will (as applicable) be used to
- process your application.
- administer your ongoing membership and any professional registrations or titles you hold through the EI, either directly or under license, including matters relating to professional conduct.
- ensure you receive and are informed of the benefits to which you are entitled as part of your membership or registration including, where relevant, receipt of one of our magazines.
- connect you with your local branch or YPN.
- communicate any matters which may affect your membership or registration.
- Confirm, on request, your professional status in respect of any professional memberships, registrations or other titles which have been awarded to you by the EI.
Your application, including any supporting evidence you submit with your application will be held securely on file as a record of the professional membership, registration or titles you have obtained through the EI, and the basis on which these memberships, registrations or titles were awarded. All material you submit in your application, and any information you impart as part of the interview process will be treated in strict confidence by staff, assessors, interviewers and any representatives of the EI or licensing or approval bodies who review or audit your application. In the interests of transparency, the protection of professional titles and the prevention of fraudulent claims in respect of professional status, the EI reserves the right to publish a list of the names of current members, and the professional registrations or titles which have been conferred on them by the EI.
Where the EI awards professional registrations or other titles under licence or approval from a third party such as the Engineering Council, the Society for the Environment or the Environment Agency, the EI will retain associated data that will also be shared with the relevant body who may communicate with you on essential matters relating to registration (see ‘Data sharing’ below). The EI also has a legitimate interest in keeping its members informed, in a proportionate way, of our activities at both corporate and local levels. We may therefore lawfully use your personal data to send you our monthly newsletter Energy Network and information from your local branch or the Young Professionals Network in your area. Similarly, we also have a legitimate interest in approaching you from time to time to request your involvement in expert surveys and consultations conducted by the EI to help fulfil our stated aim of bringing energy expertise to bear in the public debate about energy. These legitimate interests apply unless or until you either resign your membership or have opted out by visiting your My EI profile or simply clicking the personalised link at the bottom of any email from the EI.
Finally, where you have given us express consent, by providing us with your mailing preferences, you may also lawfully receive other communications about our products and services (see ‘Marketing communications’ below).