This interactive and accessible 8.5-hour self-paced online course provides a comprehensive overview of the offshore wind industry, ideal for anyone looking to scale-up their offshore wind knowledge.
The offshore wind industry is growing rapidly – estimates predict that around 1 million people will need to join the sector in the next decade to help deliver the renewable electricity generation capacity that the world needs to achieve net zero.
This means tripling the amount of people working in the industry over the next five years. To help fill this skills and knowledge gap and attract more people to this booming industry, a team of leading offshore wind experts with a combined 45 years of experience have come together to develop a comprehensive foundational online learning course on offshore wind. The EI is proud to support this course as a founding partner and help accelerate the growth of a skilled offshore wind workforce.
The entire course is made up of 8 essential modules, each made up of 3-5 interactive lessons (25 lessons in total), complete with videos, audio, interactive activities and quizzes. Each lesson only takes around 20 minutes to complete – so it can easily fit into your busy schedule.
- Project Design and Engineering
- Human Resources
- Markets and Frameworks
- Project Services
- Supply Chain and Construction
- Operations and End of Life (Coming soon)
All enrolled Offshore Wind Learning students can also benefit from 25% off the EI's Student, Affiliate or Associate membership grades. You'll find a discount code on the platform once you're logged in to the course.
Member price: £100.00 + VAT
£100.00 + VAT
Non-Member price: £100.00 + VAT
£100.00 + VAT
What will I learn?
- Terminology and the components of an offshore wind farm and how they fit together
- History of offshore wind and why it is growing so quickly, as well some technical aspects of the wind and energy generation
- How the environment interacts with an offshore wind farm
- Stakeholder engagement
- How engineering underpins the design of an offshore wind farm, looking in detail at the technological solutions developed to date, cost engineering, innovation and overall system design.
- Newly emerging floating wind sector, introducing the scale of the opportunity and the challenges involved
- What it means to work in the offshore wind industry: the importance of health and safety and the jobs and career paths available
- Enablers of the offshore wind industry: laws, policies and regulations needed for a market to grow and how markets are created and managed globally
- Offshore wind supply chain
- Commercial, procurement and financial functions that are the fundamental building blocks supporting the offshore wind industry
- Concept of levelised cost of energy for offshore wind and talk about risk and risk management
- Operational management of an offshore wind farm over its 25-year lifecycle
- What happens at the end of a project's life, including current progress on recycling
Who is this suitable for?
- University students and recent graduates thinking about pursuing a career in offshore wind
- New recruits to the offshore wind sector
- Experienced energy professionals looking to switch sectors / transition roles
- Anyone who wants to learn more about offshore wind and its importance
How good is it?
A comprehensive course made to be accessible to everyone, both in terms of background, learning styles, and price. Each module contains 3-5 interactive lessons that provide you with the most important knowledge you'll need to know on that topic. The lessons are designed to be engaging and suitable for a wide variety of learning styles by incorporating interactive content, including:
- Graphs and Figures
- Learning activities
- Interactive Visuals
Giving you the opportunity to apply your knowledge throughout the course to better understand key concepts.
Offshore Wind Learning is an excellent resource for those interested in starting a career in the offshore wind industry. The modules are designed to build the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in this exciting and rapidly evolving sector. A valuable resource for anyone looking to make a meaningful contribution to the energy transition and create a brighter and more sustainable future for us all.
Renewable Energy Consultant
I have always been interested in offshore wind power and renewable energy, but never knew what opportunities existed and how I could get a job in the sector. I decided to try Offshore Wind Learning as a first step to see if it could be a potential career path for me. Completing the course has definitely answered a lot of my questions, and I now feel like I can confidently pursue a career in offshore wind.
The lessons were clear, concise and engaging. Coming from a non-industry, non-science background, I now feel I have a solid overview of this exciting sector and the opportunities it provides.