EI LIVE free webinar | “The Future of Shipping” Investment Readiness
- 16:00 - 17:30
This webinar will be hosted by Peter Godfrey, Managing Director Asia Pacific of the Energy Institute.
Following on from the EI APAC’s well-received webinar on the subject of “Future Fuels and Infrastructure Readiness” in June, we are pleased to announce the second in our series entitled “Investment Readiness” which aims to examine how this huge and highly complex sector will evolve given rapidly changing global trends, increasingly stringent environmental considerations and accelerating pace of technology advancement.
The focus of the discussion will be around funding mechanisms to propel the marine sector’s energy transition. The challenge being clear – zero-emission vessels need to enter the world fleet by 2030 if shipping is to achieve the International Maritime Organisation’s ambitions and halve its greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
The decade ahead is a critical one for advancing the maritime sector’s decarbonisation and it requires a combination of technology readiness, community readiness as well as investment readiness
This webinar will be hosted by Peter Godfrey, Managing Director Asia Pacific of the Energy Institute with confirmed panel speakers:
- Charles Haskell, Business Development Manager UK&I, Marine and Offshore, Lloyd's Register
- Paul Taylor, global head of shipping & offshore, Société Générale
- Khalid M Hashim, Managing Director, Precious Shipping PLC
- Tarun Mehrota, Director Trade and Transport, Rainmaking
Senior representative speakers from the marine investment and shipowners’ communities will also be joining the speaker panel (names to confirmed shortly).
It will assess the efforts underway to bridge the gap between finance and the emerging technologies that will underpin shipping’s decarbonisation. From the application of climate change criteria to ship lending as seen last June with the introduction of the Poseidon Principles to green and climate bonds, this session will evaluate the ESG landscape, particularly in Asia, and how it is driving change in maritime. Panellists will each give short presentations followed by Q&A.
Conversation touchpoints will include:-
- The Poseidon principles one year on – many new institutions have been recruited but is enough being done to bring Asia banks onboard?
- “From talk to action” - what mechanisms do we need to facilitate and monitor change?
- Why shipping needs technology roadmaps
- How will data and data reporting propel things forward and what is the role of transparency in driving change.
- The importance of due diligence: what’s needed to support funders and other stakeholders evaluate suggested mechanisms and solutions
- How investment readiness can go beyond decarbonisation as we strive for a circular economy.
16.00-17.30 (Singapore Time)
Please register online to ensure that you receive further details on how to join the webinar on Thursday 10th September 2020 at 4 pm (Singapore Time)