The human performance pathway is an industry recognised qualification to build human performance capability in your organisation.
Developed by the Energy Institute and the Chartered Institute of Ergonomics and Human Factors (CIEHF), the pathway is an eLearning training course for all levels – from building awareness of human performance, all the way to developing skilled practitioners.
From a one-hour introductory module to a fully supported Learning Pathway to increase competence and capability, we have options to suit your role and your professional development needs.
This training course is self-taught, giving you the freedom to do it when you decide to, and encourages you to improve your ability to manage human performance with a ‘learning by doing’ approach. Learners can journey on the pathway only as far as they need to.
Those who complete all levels of the pathway can apply to become a Technical member of the CIEHF.
Who is the course for?
Level 1 is targeted towards supervisors, managers, and others with a role in managing safety and managing other people. It is for anyone who needs to learn the basics of how to manage human performance day-to-day. It is also the starting point for those who want to become human performance practitioners.
This is a self-taught course where learners are given the tools they need to apply human performance in their everyday operations. Learners will be required to carry out practical tasks such as carrying out a review of a task or procedure, reviewing a task that involves communications, and assessing the usability of a piece of equipment. The course consists of reading materials (‘basic’ level), desktop and practical exercises, and end of module exams. There are nine modules that are required to be completed:
- Safety critical communications
- Task analysis
- Designing for people
- Incident investigations
- Fatigue, workload and stress
- HF in projects
- Control rooms and alarms
- Leadership and culture
The Pathway is self-paced, however Level 1 is designed to be completed in around 50-60 hours (i.e. 0.5-1 day per module). Learners are given up to 18 months to complete the course.
Why should you take this course?
- You will gain ‘basic’ competence in how to manage key human performance issues, using basic tools and techniques (equivalent to ‘novice’ level on the CIEHF competency criteria).
- You will develop practical experience in applying human performance tools and techniques in your work. You will build up a pragmatic, flexible and transferable skill set in human factors so you’ll become a confident and sought-after asset for your organisation.
- Upon completion, you will be awarded a Human Performance for the Energy Sector Level 1 certificate from the EI and CIEHF.
- You will be eligible to continue the pathway and move on to level 2.
Click to download course brochure